8.13.2009

Sex & Work

No, I'm not talking about having an office affair!


Weight: 170 lbs
Razor Status: Active
Days Since Last Eyebrow Wax: I'm still trying to remember
Hubby's Mood: Getting Antsy

I was watching the Today Show this morning and they had a segment on about how your sex life could affect your work. Apparently, a healthy sex life can lead to better productivity at work.

From Wikipedia:
Dopamine is commonly associated with the pleasure system of the brain, providing feelings of enjoyment and reinforcement to motivate a person proactively to perform certain activities. Dopamine is released (particularly in areas such as the nucleus accumbens and prefrontal cortex) by naturally rewarding experiences such as food, sex, drugs, and neutral stimuli that become associated with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine
As it turns out, the dopamine released in your brain during sex has a lingering affect once you get up in the morning and head into work. This could lead to better moods, better concentration and more energy to get you through the work day.

So this got me to thinking. Could my cranky mood at work been the result of my faltering sex drive? There were plenty of times that I flipped out at work and just blamed it on the hormones of pregnancy (or found another excuse when I wasn't pregnant). Not only did I have my moody days, but I found myself having difficulty getting through the afternoon. You know, that 3 pm crash? Could that be prevented simply by having a healthy sex life?

And if my sex life can affect something so seemingly unrelated like work, what else is it affecting? We all know that sex is a big part of any relationship, but I am now thinking that it can affect a relationship in more than one way. Maybe the fights we have had in the past have been an indirect result of our sexual relationship. And not just because hubby was cranky about not getting any. Maybe it was because I was grouchy for the same reason but didn't realize it. If the dopamine released during sex is supposed to improve your mood, then maybe those little fights about "nothing" never would have happened.

I go back to work in 2 1/2 weeks. Hopefully I will have recovered enough from childbirth to find out whether a healthy sex life improves productivity and energy at work. And maybe it will improve my marriage, too! I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting burns calories. I promise!