2.13.2010

Let the Games Begin


Last night was the opening ceremony for the Winter Olympics. I'm not sure if it's something that my son will be interested in or not. He was far too young to even know that the Summer Olympics were on two years ago. He's 2 1/2 now and loves to watch baseball, football, hockey, soccer and basketball. He knows what sports are and he likes to watch. So I'm sure that when the hockey games are on he will want to watch, but I wonder if he will be interested in other events.

When I was a kid I used to love watching figure skating. Now, not so much. I as I got older and crankier I just lost interest. I love the ski jump. I went to Lake Placid about 10 years ago and they still had the ski jump from the 1980 Olympics. Looking up at it was nauseating. I can't imagine actually being at the top. And then going down it. On purpose...

Be right back...

Ok, I'm back. I had to go vomit.

In case you couldn't tell, I have an irrational fear of heights. Maybe that's why I like watching the ski jump. Because I know I would never, ever (EVER) be able to do it.

One event I will never understand is curling. The only "curling" I have any experience with involves burning my fingers and watching my hair fall flat despite hours of effort and an absurd quantity of hair products. Lester Holt just tried to explain it to me. I still don't get it.

By the way, you noticed my coffee mugs? Those are my "Olympic rings". Why did I use coffee mugs? Because you can get into a LOT of trouble for using the rings without the "express written consent" of the Olympic committee. Just an FYI for my blogger friends.

4 comments:

  1. For some inexplicable reason, my husband and I love curling. It's the absurdity of it, I think. Love your Olympic rings, er...mugs. *wink wink* I won't tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, absurd is a good word to describe it. In fact, if they called it "Absurd Curling" they might get more viewers. And thanks for keeping my mugs on the DL. I tried calling the Olympic Committee but I had to leave a message and no one has called me back yet. Don't they realize how important something like this is?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a curling club right by our house so I have always understood and appreciated how difficult it can be (not really). I watched the speed jump today and have to say that I do much better than any of those guys did today. I can go 135 meters at 95 miles/hr on the Wii.

    Bummer about the luge guy, that's always second best event to make fun of next to curling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww - my 2 1/2 year old loves sports too (football, baseball, and nascar). He didn't really "get" the Olympics, though he did twirl around when the ice skaters were on. Does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting burns calories. I promise!